The Department of Sociology at Stony Brook University seeks a Chair to serve as the intellectual leader of the department, facilitating a positive environment for teaching, scholarship, and service to the college and the university. This individual will continue the Department’s tradition of excellence in research and teaching. The Sociology Department possesses strengths in many areas, and is renowned for its focus on global phenomena and their connection to national dynamics. It also has a large undergraduate major, one of the most popular minors on campus (in Health and Society), and a robust and nationally-recognized doctoral program.
The search is open with regard to methodological specialization; we welcome scholars with qualitative (e.g., ethnographic, archival) and/or quantitative (e.g., statistical or big data) skills. We are, however, particularly interested in scholars whose research overlaps with one or more of the Department’s strengths, including computational social science, environment, global and public health, race and ethnicity, international development, inequality, politics, and culture. The candidate should have at least two years of administrative experience. We welcome applications from Advanced Associates (at least three years post-tenure or have extraordinary leadership accomplishments warranting consideration) and Full Professors. We especially invite applications from women and under-represented minority candidates.
The ideal candidate will:
● Possess a minimum of two years of administrative experience at the Departmental or College level
● Be ready to serve at least one three-year term as Chair
● Have a demonstrated track-record of publication in nationally or internationally-prominent venues within Sociology, as well as a clear pathway to continued excellence in the field
● Contribute to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in the Department and University
Requested Application Materials:
1) State employment application
2) Cover letter
3) Curriculum Vitae
4) Research Statement
5) Teaching Statement
6) Diversity Statement
We will begin review of applications on January 10, 2022, and continue until the position has been filled.
Apply here: https://apply.interfolio.com/99239